Types of Sewing Machines
Sewing has been handed down generation after generation by playing the role of a craft, skill, hobby, or profession. Nowadays, almost everyone knows the basics of sewing because one has learned the benefits of knowing how to stitch.
But not everyone sews for the same purpose. While some may sew during their relaxation time, others might have a full up-and-running sewing business. Thus, to cater to the different sewing purpose needs, there are different sewing machines manufactured.
Different types of sewing machines
There are five main types of sewing machines, each distinct in their functionality and working system. Continue reading to know more.
Mechanical Sewing Machine
A mechanical sewing machine is also known as a manual sewing machine or hand sewing machine, and these machines are pretty affordable and basic. Unlike other machines, they are highly recommended for beginners in sewing because they are very easy to use.
A mechanical sewing machine has a built-in presser foot, Bobbin loading, adjustable stitch length and tension, and reverse or straight stitch features. These sewing machines take up considerable space and are not quite portable.
Electric Sewing Machine
Compared to a manual, an electric sewing machine has many more features. This type is typically a combination of a mechanical and a computerized sewing machine.
It has features such as an LCD screen, free arm, in-built stitch capability and needle threader, drop-in bobbin, adjustable presser foot, and much more. The only drawback to an electric sewing machine is that it is expensive.
Apart from that Usha brand comes first in electric sewing machines in India. Usha sewing machine has one of the best electric sewing machines collection. It is less with the latest technology and features.
Computerized Sewing Machine
A computerized sewing machine can be connected to the internet and is best suited for industrial manufacturing.
They have an in-built stitch capacity of a minimum of 50 and produce large-scale materials very efficiently and quickly. This type of machine can handle difficult fabrics quite easily and are not that affordable.
Embroidery Sewing Machine
An embroidery sewing machine’s purpose is to design different embroidered patterns on any fabric. This type of sewing machine is bought by those who work professionally in the embroidering industry, or else, electronic sewing machines work the same role when an embroidering presser foot is attached at the bottom.
You may also like to read – Best Sewing Machine for Home Use in India
Overlockers Sewing Machine
Also known as sergers, overlockers are used to seam different pieces of fabric together to create a single fabric. They are usually used for achieving a finishing touch to any clothing by tailors.
An overlocker sewing machine depends on the number of threads it uses. It could range from a single-thread overlock to a triple-thread overlock.
Benefits of having a sewing machine
Continue reading if you want to know the benefits of owning a sewing machine.
- Quick working
Unlike the slow process of stitching by hand, it is way easier and faster to sew anything using a sewing machine. If you are less on time, only a sewing machine can help you achieve more than a thousand stitches per minute.
Also, with the help of a sewing machine, you will be able to finish multiple projects in a short time. You do not need to rely on multiple people to do your work when you finish doing the same in a shorter period of time on your own, only using a sewing machine.
A sewing machine can quickly thread the needle unlike the manual process of threading the needle which takes a lot of tries. Also, know about stapler sewing machines which are used for quick stitches.
- A high percent of accuracy
Using a sewing machine gives you a higher rate of accuracy in the number of stitches and stitch patterns.
While hand stitches do not give completely accurate stitches on any fabric, using a sewing machine will give you the accurate results that you are looking for. Once you properly set the thread and needle in the sewing machine, there is nothing stopping you from getting accurate and neat fabric stitches.
- Ease in sewing difficult fabrics
There are heavy materials and fabrics such as denim, wool, and leather that are a bit difficult to sew together by hand. But, if you have a sewing machine, this task becomes way easier.
Sewing soft fabrics might be easy to stitch together by hand, but when it comes to denim-type material, you need hardy machines. Sewing machines usually make use of double threads which makes the stitches even stronger and long-lasting.
Sewing difficult fabrics by hand will take too much effort, time, and patience. You might even end up straining your eyes and fingers. From blankets, jeans, and quilts, you can sew them easily with a sewing machine.
Here you can also use a sewing machine with table.
- Saves money
A sewing machine is extremely helpful in saving money as you end up doing the little chores on your own rather than going and spending money on a tailor.
Tiny holes and tears can be repaired at home on your own. Having a sewing machine at home also helps you stay up-to-date with ongoing fashion trends, and help you DIY them at home without having to visit expensive designers.
- Helps in taking up a skill or profession
Sewing is a type of craft, and owning a sewing machine can help you improve your sewing skills. Whenever you have free time or wish to relax, you can use a sewing machine to brew something up out of your imagination.
Little children can be introduced to sewing as a new skill that they can take up just like any other hobby. Simultaneously, you can expand your sewing skills with the help of a sewing machine into a full-time profession or small business.
Factors to consider while buying a sewing machine
The best sewing machine for you is the one which will have all the essential features as per your requirement and will be capable of serving your needs. These are some of the important factors to be considered before buying a sewing machine.
- If you are a beginner then opt for the beginners friendly sewing machine available in the market. The mechanical sewing machines are the best for beginners because they are easy to operate with very few stitch options available, which a beginner should try first. For the professionals or the experts go for sewing machines with more advanced features and more complex stitches.
- If your stitching requirement is for mending your torn fabrics or stitching a curtain or working on them, go for the sewing machines with basic stitch selection. If you do a lot of stitching on a regular basis, look for more stitch options. Here you can also try these best sewing machines for stitching jeans.
- Opt for the machines which offer multiple buttonhole stitches options.
- Search for sewing machines which have free arms, required for sewing cylindrical fabrics conveniently like pants, sleeves etc.
- Opt for the models with a built- in needle threader which makes it easier to put the thread in the needle’s eye without putting strain on your eyes and also saves your time.
- If you want to sew heavy fabrics like jeans, leather etc, choose the industrial heavy-duty sewing machines. They have special needles that penetrate deep into the fabric and give seamless finishing to the garment.
- If you want to sew stretchable fabrics, choose the zig zag sewing machines that are best for sewing such fabrics. They are also the best for working on different types of embroidery works.
- If you are a frequent traveler and you need to sew garments regularly, opt for the stapler sewing machine. They are lightweight and portable and carried to any place conveniently,
Depending on the purpose of your sewing needs, there are a variety of sewing machines available in the market. Whether you are a beginner who is looking to take up a skill or a hobby or a professional who wants to use a sewing machine for a small business, there are different sewing machines suited for different requirements. Similarly, there are commercial and industrial sewing machines for large-scale sewing purposes. Figure out your budget and requirements before you purchase any kind of sewing machine.
Consider Reading -